return to homepage

Reciprocal Beneficiary Relationship in Hawaii

How do you get one?

The Reciprocal Beneficiary Relationship in Hawaii is their form of a Domestic Partnership. Basically, it's a legal partnership between 2 people that are not legally allowed to get married. Couples that enter into this partnership are granted certain rights and benefits that married couples are granted.

Ok, so what criteria needs to be met in order for a gay couple or lesbian couple to be able to enter into a reciprocal beneficiary relationship in Hawaii. They are as follows:

  • Both partners must be at least 18 years old.
  • Both partners must be prohibited by law from marrying one another.
  • Neither partner can be married or in another reciprocal beneficiary relationship. If they are, the marriage or reciprocal beneficiary relationship must be dissolved first before moving forward with the new reciprocal beneficiary relationship in Hawaii.
  • Neither partner can have consented to the reciprocal beneficiary relationship because of force, duress, or fraud.
  • If you meet the above requirements then you are well on your way to registering your reciprocal beneficiary relationship in Hawaii.

    Ok the above requirements have been met. Now, what are the steps to register your reciprocal beneficiary relationship. Here they are:

    • You must completely fill out and sign a Registration for Reciprocal Benefit Relationship form. This form MUST be notarized.
    • Get together your notarized reciprocal beneificary form, the fee for filing the form which is $8 and at least one (1) self-addressed stamped envelope, legal size. (Only money orders and cashier checks are accepted and need to be made payable to: State Director of Finance.)
    • Everything in step 2 must be sent by postal mail to:
    • RBR Office
      P.O. Box 591
      Honolulu, HI 96809-0591

      Then you are done! They do NOT accept walk-ins. Let me repeat that they do NOT accept walk-ins. Everything MUST be done by mail.

      After they receive and register your form they will send you two (2) Reciprocal Beneficiary Relationship certificates via postal mail using the self-addressed, enclosed envelope that you provided. (If both partners do NOT live together, than include two (2) self-addressed stamped envelopes.)

      Don't forget to check out our Hawaii Gay Attorneys page to help you with all of the necessities that our federal government won't help you with because they haven't legalized gay marriage yet.

      By the way, you do NOT have to be a resident of Hawaii to receive a certificate for your reciprocal beneficiary relationship in Hawaii.

      Now, I don't know about you, but a gay hawaii wedding and a gay honeymoon in Hawaii seems like a fantastic idea to me.


      Legal Disclaimer

      We here at provide this legal information as a service to the public. It is not to be considered legal advice. We make no claims that the information is complete nor current. Please seek legal counsel for complete, current legal advice.

You don't have to spend $15,000 to $20,000 to have a gorgeous wedding ceremony.

Our ebook Gay and Lesbian Wedding Planning: The Frugal Guide to Saving Thousands on Your Speical Day! will show you how to make the most of your budget for this joyous union of love.

gay and lesbian wedding planning ebook

Subscribe here

Add to My Yahoo!
Add to My MSN
Add to Google

Enjoy This Site?
Then why not use the button below, to add us to your favorite bookmarking service?

Sign up for our FREE
Gay Goodies Galore Newsletter!

Name: E-mail:

Don't worry--your email address
is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you the Gay Goodies Galore Newsletter.